Music Mixing Primer
All The Techniques You Need To Know For A Great Mix
The Music Mixing Primer is a 4-week online training program for songwriters, musicians, producers, DJs and anyone who is struggling to make their mixes sound professional. You'll learn the basic mix techniques used by the hit maker engineers.
The primary focus of this program is to help you build your mix, get the relationship between the bass, drums and vocals correct, learn when and how to use EQ and compressions, and how to add effects.
This 4-week program consists of the following four 60+ minute webinars (plus a Q&A session at the end of each one):
Week 1 - Setting Levels and Balances
- Prepping the mix the way the pros do it
- How to set the proper fader and plugin levels (gain staging)
- Getting the proper balance between the bass and drums
- Getting the proper balance between the vocals and track
- The trick to panning that no one ever tells you
- The secret to playback levels
Week 2 - Using The EQ
- The sonic differences between additive and subtractive EQ
- EQing the bass and drums
- EQing the vocals
- The high-pass filter - the mixer's secret weapon
- Making instruments fit in the mix with frequency juggling
Week 3 - Using Compression
- The different types of compressors and limiters and when to choose them
- The proper way to set up the compressor
- The secret to a punchy sound - compression on the bass and drums
- Compression on the vocals
- Mix buss compression
Week 4 - Using Effects
- The secret to getting a delay or reverb sound that always fits in the mix
- Timing delays and reverbs to the track
- Getting a bigger guitar, keys and vocal sound by using modulation
- A basic effects setup that works on almost every mix
Each webinar occurs on Thursdays at 3pm EST (recordings will be made available if you can't attend).
The next available program runs during the following dates:
1. The methods you'll learn are all generic and will work on any DAW or hardware console.
2. Works on all genres of music!
3. No special plugins are required, although some may be shown during the course of the webinars